Disambiguation is a programmed 3D environment in which complex semantic processes are experienced in real time. A multitude of slowly moving news headlines forms a vast textual space, in which formal rules and algorithmic instructions set the stage for serious word play.
In the field of computational linguistics, word-sense disambiguation is an analytical task in natural language processing used to reduce the ambiguity and inevitable plurality of meaning of each word in a given sentence. A series of algorithms attempts to isolate "the" meaning, or specific intention within the context and usage of a particular phrase.
On the contrary, in Disambiguation each word explores all of its polysemic potential. A word's current position in a phrase is always temporary, briefly revealing but one aspect of its ability to generate meaning. At any given moment, a word or word group can detach itself from a phrase, traverse space and incorporate itself into another, all the while conforming to correct grammatical, morphological and syntactic rules. Each new text formed permutates similar word types upon its original underlying deep structure allowing for meaning to constantly proliferate and shift.
Over time, the deliberately factual and seemingly authorless "objective" wordings of the news dispatches, conceived of as simple statements or vessels carrying information, open up to all their latent indeterminateness and to a conception of language as a material process, a continuous play of signifiers.
- In the vitrine of the bookstore Actes Sud, Invitation - Maud Calmé, Octobre Numérique, Arles, 2015
- Sonorités festival, Ecole des Beaux Arts, Montpellier, 2013
- La Criée Centre d'Art Contemporain, Rennes, 2011
- l’Ecole Supérieure des Beaux Arts de Marseille, 2009
- A House in 4 dimensions, Filmmuseum, Amsterdam, Pays Bas, 2004
- Espace Multimédia Gantner, Bourogne, France, 2004
- Radio interview with Nadège Padellec for Radio Campus Rennes, 2011
- Par le chas d’une aiguille, Marc Lenot, Lunettes Rouges, 2011
- Jeff Guess à La Criée, Chloé Orveau, Zero Deux Online, 2011
- Disambiguation, Laetitia Chazottes, 2008
- Espace Multimédia Gantner, Bourogne, France